An artisan jewelry journey in color, texture and fun. Beaded jewelry with handcrafted sterling silver is my focus and joy.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

A Hope for Whirled Peas


Next week, Americans mark a day we call "Veterans Day" - a day to commemorate all those who have served our country in military service, most notably those still living, acknowledging the sacrifices they have made as they carried out their duties for our national security. Beginning this week and continuing as a permanent section in my Etsy shop, I will be dedicating a limited edition series of jewelry pieces specifically to honor veterans by donating proceeds from the sales of these pieces to the Fisher House™ Foundation.

What are Fisher Houses™ and why did I choose to make fund-raising efforts in support of them?

Glad you asked.

The Fisher House™ Foundation program recognizes the special sacrifices of our men and women in uniform and the hardships of military service by meeting a humanitarian need beyond that normally provided by the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs. Because members of the military and their families are stationed worldwide and must often travel great distances for specialized medical care, Fisher House™ Foundation donates "comfort homes," built on the grounds of major military and VA medical centers. These homes enable family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful times - during the hospitalization for an unexpected illness, disease, or injury. The homes are normally located within walking distance of the treatment facility or have transportation available. The program began in 1990, and has offered nearly 2-1/2 million days of lodging to more than 110,000 families. This lodging is made available free of charge to these families in need. Regardless of the politics of war, our wounded soldiers and their families need our support, and support of the Fisher Houses™ is one way we can lend a hand.

These Houses are a significant presence here in my hometown of San Antonio, as it has become the nation's center for medical treatment for amputees, and has seven Fisher Houses™ in operation to support these families. So as a charity, this is doubly attractive to me, living with a veteran and also living in San Antonio.


The other amazing thing about this organization is their stellar reputation as a charity organization. Major supporters include Newman's Own, and Gary Trudeau of "Doonesbury" fame. They have received a 4-star rating for three consecutive years from Charity Navigator, America's largest independent evaluator of charities; the Independent Charities Seal of Excellence , certifying that they meet the highest standards of public accountability and program and cost effectiveness; and an A+ rating from Charity Watch. I feel that I can not only support an awesome cause, but also give with confidence, knowing that the funds will go exactly to where they were intended.


This holiday make a purchase count for more than the joy of the item itself - have a gift give back. Do it here with That's Headley! Hope for Whirled Peas Collection purchases, or another purchase from someone with charity-targeted proceeds, but do it - you'll like it, I'm sure.

For more information about the Fisher House
Foundation, please see www.fisherhouse.org. This fundraising effort is undertaken personally by that’s Headley! Jewelry Designs, and does not imply that the Fisher House™ Foundation in any way supports or endorses my jewelry. Also, I am not a spokesperson for the Fisher House™ Foundation, so any inquiries regarding the Foundation should be directed to them via their contact information provided at www.fisherhouse.org.


4 comments:

Deanna Roux said...

I think this is a wonderful idea and I love the whirled peas in your tribute!

I too, am selling a specific item for a cause - it's still in the works. I'm hoping to get something in my shop next week. You can learn more about it at my blog - fancyfreeme.blogspot.com. I'd love to trade links to help both causes gain exposure.

-Deanna

that's Headley! Jewelry Designs said...

Deanna - thanks for your support! I'd be happy to trade links when I do the feature on your shop, which should be coming up soon. I'll keep you posted as to when.

Anonymous said...

This is a brilliant idea and beautifully executed. Bravo for you. May you sell a ton.

Phyllis

Lois said...

Hi Ginny: It was serendipity that I came to your blog via the etsy twitters team blog. I think that what you are doing with your Hope for Whirled Peas is fabulous, and I would love to feature you in an upcoming Art from the Heart that appears on my blog weekly on Thursdays. In Art from the Heart, I feature an artist or artisan that shares his or her creativity, passion and energy with others for the benefit of humanity, and you certainly fit into that category. Please check out my blog at http://foxygknits.com, and if you are interested, you can leave me a message or convo me through my etsy shop foxygknits. Again, kudos to you for paying it forward.