An artisan jewelry journey in color, texture and fun. Beaded jewelry with handcrafted sterling silver is my focus and joy.

Monday, October 08, 2007

Sew much fun for you

Etsy
Buy Handmade
So and Sew Crafty


A delightful Esty crafter can be found in Karen Copeland who is the artist behind the Etsy shop So and Sew Crafty. Her love of home and family is so evident in the wonderful items available there. She has been sewing for over 30 years, and makes everything from dog costumes to baby quilts.

Talking with Karen, she had the following to say:

How did you get into your craft? My great grandmother taught me to sew when I was about 4 or 5 and I was hooked. My mother and her mother were talented seamstresses, painters....just plain "crafty" people, and I suppose I inherited that from them. And believe me I am thankful to them for that!

What inspires you? Fabric! Sewing is my salvation! When I get in my sewing room I can forget about just about everything else. I love to take a flat piece of cloth and turn it into something great for people to wear or just enjoy looking at.

What challenges you in your art? I love doing custom work, especially work with no set pattern, like designing, sewing, and fitting 11 majorette costumes for the local high school band!

How long have you had your shop? Just over a month.

Do you consider your shop a job or a hobby? Neither! I don't consider sewing a "job" but it takes a great deal more time than a hobby!

Do you have any advice for fellow Etsy shop owners? Don't give up! Just keep promoting both on and off Etsy!


To find out more about this crafty sewer, check out her blog, or MySpace page.

No comments: